View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #36
Velvet Ga el
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
Well there went my 3 match winning streak. Lost pretty badly today. 6-2, 6-3. Every game was a dogfight, but I kept coming up short. Could not buy a forehand today. Everything went consistently 1 foot long, which drove me crazy. Why I was targeting the lines, I have no idea...

I will avoid calling the opponent a P_____, because he won fair and square and exposed the weaknesses in my game. I played his game and did not impose myself on the court early on, and by the time I woke up, it was too late. Maybe the 2 week break between matches worked against me, because I was thinking about the match the whole week, putting imaginary pressure on myself.

If you're the superstitious type, I discovered before the match that the maid had washed my tournament shoes which I had worn for the first 3 matches. They were sparkly clean when she brought them out Anyway, I didn't pay any mind to it, my wife just reminded me after I got home

I guess he was a master at the mental game too, because he pi$$ed me off during the warmup. He was going for winners on every feed, and not even trying to rally. I tried to shrug it off, maybe it didn't work.

Look at this warmup!
http://youtu.be/yJmRlxNu8Nk

Here's the footage, aka the good, the bad, and the ugly. I made a whole bunch more unforced errors which I edited out. He had pretty good wheels, good lobs...and apparently that's all it takes

I couldn't get in a groove until the second set. That's on me. The whole match was mentally fatiguing, and it showed in the end. I was playing so bad that I wanted to chalk it up as one of those days, but still, I feel that he contributed to it, which annoys the hell out of me. I didn't make him play enough balls.

I'd appreciate it if you guys chimed in, I need to figure this out. Or at least have someone to commiserate with...

http://youtu.be/PyWzmW2FFXA
Two things (with the caveat I didn't watch all of the video). First, come to the net more. He hit a couple of low percentage lobs and it looks like you got scared. Also, work on your split step; although you do stop and split your feet, you still land with a very stiff and upright stance. This is one of the reasons you had difficulty going back or changing directions, and it's also a cause of some of your errors on your volleys. Flex those knees and get into an athletic posture.

Second, you never really made him move off the baseline by testing him short. It's clear that he just wants to be a rabbit that is attached to the baseline; drop shot him, play short angles that require him to move up, etc. The few times he did come up by accident, you passed him or forced him to look uncomfortable up there. His soft *** serve is a perfect opportunity to hit a drop shot down the line or a short angle CC. Move him instead of letting him move you.
Velvet Ga el is offline   Reply With Quote