View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #17
travlerajm
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeD View Post
Big difference between what you can do now, compared to what you think you used to do.
You're not even all that old.
I'm 40. You don't have to remind me that I'm over the hill. But how do you know that I'm not baiting you in? Why would I post a video showing a 2nd serve hitting less than 5' high on the fence, then publicly challenge myself to go 2 feet higher, unless I was confident that I can go significantly higher?

Yes, the form in my video has some biomechanical flaws and is not up to the level up my biggest serves of the past - I don't jump forward nearly as far into the court as I used to, for starters. However, even if my form remains the same as in the video, I can still pick up quite a boost in bounce height simply by changing a few things:

1. The serves in the video were with half-dead balls. New balls ought to add a foot, right?
2. The serves in the video were were with kevlar hybrid strung tight in a dense pattern. Switching to an extended OS with open pattern, strung loose with syn gut might add another?
3. I use a racquet with 370 SW. In my experience, serve speed with a heavy racquet can improve rapidly with more reps because my arm strength improves rapidly when I am able to hit serves several times a week instead of once every 2 weeks. I just starting serving 2x per week a few weeks ago, so I can still gain here if I can continue to get serve reps over the summer.

Last edited by travlerajm : 05-09-2013 at 09:55 PM.
travlerajm is offline   Reply With Quote