View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 06:09 AM   #6
charliefedererer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlerajm View Post
My old serve used have much more jump. I used to land further in the court than anybody - about 6 feet in (and higher too). My jump serve was a little like Battistone, but without the extra step. Today I seemed to land about 1-2 feet in. I'm working toward getting more forward jump back in general, as that used to be my secret (in spite of the fact that few pros do it). But today I was testing out a ball toss location a little less out in front, and it seems to have led to less forward jump (I'm usually at 2-3 feet these days). Mostly, I use the height that my ball hits the curtain to guide my tweaks.

Other things I'm working on are:
1. Getting my hips further out in front of my shoulders in the trophy position.
2. Turning my back to the net more in the trophy position.
3. Finding the optimum toss location.
4. Raising my contact point higher (might need to jump higher to do this).
5. Pulling the racquet down faster to have more distance to accelerate the racquet upward.
6. Experimenting with wider stance with rear foot further back for better weight transfer (like I used to).
I have not doubt your serve will get faster, with #1 being your biggest source of added power.
[It will also solve your swinging your right leg around as the greater force exerted upward/forward will overcome your currently stronger coil/uncoil force.]

You may also be able to tweak keeping your tossing arm up straighter and a little longer to get better shoulder over shoulder action.

The racquet drop should be "passive", with the added distance down a function of the leg push off so fast it leaves your racquet/arm behind. Is there possibly a little more juice left in the legs?

A bigger racquet supination at the racquet drop also should be "passive" based on the rapid uncoiling swinging that racquet well over to the left with a "limp" wrist.

Your practicing more will be your biggest ticket to success.

Having perfect timing in the kinetic chain elements to build on them in succession will put you over the top.

With that in mind, you may consider trying a slightly lighter frame to get more reps in.

Over time, reconsider whether a tiny more bit of pace on your 5 foot kicker is more productive in match play that a 7 foot kick - I'm sure you have seen many 5.0's will just move in to take it on the rise. (Still, the more options the better.)

Just listen to your body - it would be a pity to suffer an injury when you love tennis so much and already have a serve most would love to have.

Good luck!

Last edited by charliefedererer : 05-10-2013 at 06:24 AM.
charliefedererer is offline   Reply With Quote