View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
travlerajm
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliefedererer View Post
I have not doubt your serve will get faster, with #1 being your biggest source of added power.
[It will also solve your swinging your right leg around as the greater force exerted upward/forward will overcome your currently stronger coil/uncoil force.]

You may also be able to tweak keeping your tossing arm up straighter and a little longer to get better shoulder over shoulder action.
Thanks - I forgot to mention toss reliability as something I need to work on.
Quote:
The racquet drop should be "passive", with the added distance down a function of the leg push off so fast it leaves your racquet/arm behind.
I actually disagree with this one. I think pulling the racquet down faster (instead of relying on gravity, was one of the secret sources of racquetspeed that I discovered 10 years ago when I was serving at a much higher level). By actively pulling the racquet down, I can get the bottom of the downswing much lower (down around my thigh rather than my waist). This gives me more distance to accelerate upward into the ball. It allows me to use the muscle chain in my abdominals, lat, shoulder, and triceps as a spring -- so in that sense I get extra energy into the racquet on the upstroke. I notice this is also one of Roddick's secrets, but very few amateurs do it. It gives the appearance of a "live arm", but really, my arm is not very live at all - I can't though a baseball particularly fast, but I can serve at a high level when my biomechanics click.
Quote:
Is there possibly a little more juice left in the legs?
I'm wondering this - last night, I tried testing how far out into the court I could land, and it was depressing - I had trouble landing further than 4 feet in. It was like my leg push had evolved toward an old-man style serve, and I'd forgotten how to push off like I used to. I definitely have some work to do in this area. I also experimented last night with a pinpoint style -- it did let me get my hips a little further out in into the court, but it threw off my timing, so I'm not sure I want to go that direction.
Quote:
A bigger racquet supination at the racquet drop also should be "passive" based on the rapid uncoiling swinging that racquet well over to the left with a "limp" wrist.
I'll have to check my vids and think aout this one.
Quote:
Your practicing more will be your biggest ticket to success.

Having perfect timing in the kinetic chain elements to build on them in succession will put you over the top.
I agree - in my experience, the best way to add velocity to my serve is to get more reps.
Quote:
With that in mind, you may consider trying a slightly lighter frame to get more reps in.
I disagree here. After a few weeks of serving reps, my "Samprasized" Blade is startign to feel like an extension of my arm. There's also no question that I can serve faster and with significantly more rpm with 370 SW than I can with a stock racquet.
Quote:
Over time, reconsider whether a tiny more bit of pace on your 5 foot kicker is more productive in match play that a 7 foot kick - I'm sure you have seen many 5.0's will just move in to take it on the rise. (Still, the more options the better.)
Agree. Even if I never get to the elusive 7 ft mark, the extra reps will definitely make my serve more of a weapon, with more pop available to use for a variety of serve types.
Quote:
Just listen to your body - it would be a pity to suffer an injury when you love tennis so much and already have a serve most would love to have.

Good luck!
I've reached the age where I feel like running full sprint to reach a drop shot is a risky proposition - the speed is still there, but the chance of tweaking an achilles, my knee, or my hammy means sometimes the smart move is to let it go.