View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 12:33 AM   #601
Gyswandir
Rookie

Thumbs up thx

Thanks for the response Cheetah. That makes me feel better about my stroke.

I totally agree on the rhythm part & this is probably where I still have a long way to go.

BTW Greg, I don't know if this makes it any easier for you, but when I was relearning my FH, my coach kept telling me that the forearm simply supinates after left hand separation. For the life of me, it just didn't feel normal.
I believe it is due to how I hold my racket, with the left hand. Essentially, the racket face is almost facing toward the net (probably around 1 or 2 o'clock), as I don't hold the racket edge, rather both sides of the throat between thumb and other finger.
So, supinating from there is somewhat awkward. Just letting the forearm drop (almost feels like falling forward) is much more natural. This leads to the racket head pointing around 3/4.
After that, all what Cheetah says about SSC happens automatically: as you uncoil, the forearm and the wrist just lag and the racket head eventually points somwhere around 6/7 o'clock, before starting to move out (right and foreward)
It was mainly due to my lack of comfort with the supination teaching that I follwed this thread & tried out what Cheetah says, especially after watching the different Fed FH videos

Disclaimer: I am by no means an instructor of Tennis and the above is just my description of how I do what I think Cheetah is telling you
Gyswandir is offline   Reply With Quote