View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
10isfreak
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by looseleftie View Post
Hi have been hitting SW for a few years now , I am on older player, 43yr, pretty fit and quick but have noticed that since I changed from Eastern to SW my loading up knee is getting regularly sore some years ago. This effects not just my game, but day to day life..

Are there others out there, who may have found the SW forehand style forehand, and in particular the loading of the knees to be too much over time..

I think I'll have to go back to a Eastern, or modified with a swing plane of low to high.. Less dramas on the knees.

Love all your thoughts on the subject.
Cheers
Your grip has surprisingly little to do with your shot. All a more extreme grip does is closing your racket face a little more, which does make it easier to get top spin at contact (because a racket that leans forward makes contact off center on the ball). However, you can use a plethora of swings to hit with the exact same grip.

If you want an advice on how to manage this pain, think about rotation. Open up your stance if it's not already an open stance forehand or, at least , a semi-open stance forehand. Once you get that open stance, understand that bending your knee before swinging has the purpose of enabling you to use a leg extension (literally a push from your racket side leg) to make your hip rotation faster. With the great degree of rotation that these more contemporary stance allows, you can still get a decent shot without bending much at the knees.