View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 12:46 AM   #28
TheMusicLover
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0509 View Post
LOL, some of you Federer fans are pathetic. I am a Federer fan and it is hard for me to believe some of the crap that is written on here by fellow Fed fans.
The reality is this: Djokovic is NOT the favorite for RG and he did not tank Madrid and Rome to be fresh for RG. The fact that he lost in early rounds in Madrid and Rome is NOT good news for him because he will be more likely to lose in an earlier round in RG than Nadal will. Sure, if Djokovic makes it to play Nadal at RG, Djokovic is capable of beating him, but he has to get to him first. How can Djokovic be the favorite for RG when he has only made the final there ONE time whereas Nadal has won the bloody title 7 times. Are people that stupid?
Right on the mark, imho.
Top players Do. Not. "Tank", it's not part of their "wanting to win everything"-mindset all of them have, and which is actually an important mental aspect of becoming a top player in the first place.

Fact is that Djokovic 2013 is no longer the force he was in 2011, at least he hasn't been for quite a long while now, despite his titles at the AO and in MC. Still the #1, still a great player, but like with every top player, the period of indeed "winning everything" is limited and will at a certain point come to an end. Unexpected losses do happen - even the top guys will experience meeting a guy playing at his best and beating them once in a while.

The problem is that the overzealous part of their fandom quite often doesn't want to accept this, and go searching for "explanations". The injury excuse is an obvious rampant major one, but the "he didn't want to meet player X in the next round", or "he doesn't care about these minor tournaments anymore, he's only about the GS now" - aka, TANKING - come as a close second.
I've seen exactly the same excuses with certain overzealous Fed fans when he started to lose ground back in 2008-2009.

Personally I think it's better to accept the fact that all players are mere humans and capable of losing when meeting an inspired opponent having a good day, and that's what happened to Djokovic both at Madrid and now here in Rome. Whether these losses are an indication for his chances at RG remains to be seen - I'd never make the mistake of writing off a big champion prematurely again (I admit I didn't really think Fed would ever come to get GS #17 last year, but so he did), so let's just wait and see what will happen.