View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
asusundevils1971
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennismom42 View Post
So I am really confused. Apparently in NCAA there's a term, "5th year." There's a scholarship, supposedly for student athletes who were unable to get their degree done during 4 years.

My kid is not getting done in 4 years.

We have the paperwork filled out for the scholarship, but someone at the university refuses to sign because she interprets it as a "6th year scholarship." (SIXTH year)

How in the heck do you ever reach a 6th year, if you can't afford to attend the first day of the 5th year?

Second, I think if you can't get it done in 5 years, why is someone giving away money for a 6th time?

The packet has to be mailed & date stamped May 24. Can someone help me understand how a recruited athlete gets thrown under the bus like this?
How can we get the 5th year paid? Actually 4 1/2 years would be sufficient.
The college/university red shirts you. So you can still get your five years of scholarship money. Usually the college/university will give you the sixth year scholarship on your grades and not the athletic ability. You will not be able to play sports in the sixth year unless you apply to the NCAA for special circumstances.