Thread: Games for kids
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 06:25 AM   #7
goran_ace
Hall Of Fame

Other suggetions... for younger kids who are still developing coordination and motor skills I liked to do a relay race where they have to hold their racket out in front and carry a ball on it. For example line them up on the sidelines and have them carry the ball to the other side then hand it off to another kid. If you have a lot of kids you can do teams and have them compete, otherwise you can have everyone on one team and have them see how many exchanges they can do without the ball touching the ground.

King of the court is great if you have kids who are advanced enough to play out points. I also like to play around the world if you have a large group so there's not a lot of waiting around.

The important things are to make sure its fun and to keep everyone involved. You can't spend a lot of time working on one kid and expect the rest to wait in line patiently or you will lose the attentin of hte whole class in a hurry. Also, before anyone swings a racket (e.g. at the start of a drill/game, or you can even do random checks) I used to make everyone stop and spread their arms out (with racket in hand). If you can touch someone then you are too close and we can't resume play until the line moves back or the kids move to proper spacing. Finally, have fun doing it. Kids will feed off your energy. You're not out there to develop a future Wimbledon champion, you're there to introduce them to the game and make it enjoyable so they want to come back next session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10s talk View Post
Ghosts in the graveyard..... everyone gets in a line, then hits a ground stroke, if their shot is good they go to the end of the line.... if they hit it out, they go to the graveyard (the feeders side) and try to catch a shot before two bounces... if they catch a shot they go back in line.... eventually you have one person, if their shot is good, and no one catches it they win... if their shot is out, everyone goes back in line, and the person who hit the shot goes to the graveyard
We used to call this game Jail. Kids love this game. If the last person misses and everyone is released we all yell 'jailbreak!' and you tell the kids to run back over and grab their rackets and get in line again. Good things about this game are that it keeps them all involved and you can adjust what your definition of 'in' means. For pee-wees just starting out I just want them to clear the net so anything over the net is good. As they get better you can play doubles court, singles court, just no man's land, etc. and also vary what kind of shot they hit and from where.
goran_ace is offline   Reply With Quote