View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #11
schmke
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennixpl View Post
schmke - i have looked at your page actually, it looks like a very intriguing approach. I'll look more when i get more time.
My point about dynamic is that if i have regularly been raising in the rating do they take that trend into affect in my next match, or simple a static comparison of past matches weighted a certain way, similarly with who i beat last time, is he hitting his predictions or below or above them, and if so does that get fed back into what "should" have been our score and change the dynamic where i am at any given week.

last week i played a guy and the score was supposed to be 7-6, 7-6 him. but i win 6-4, 6-4. now the next week his match he is supposed to win 6-2, 6-2 but he only wins 7-6, 6-4. bc hes injured. does the fact that a trend of this guy not doing as good as he "should" get fed back into my rating? that would be dynamic in my mind and i doubt that is the way it is done. Dynamic seems to mean the update it every match and go to a hundredth of a point. so one week i am a 3.15 and the next i am a 3.21. A truly dynamic system has a strong feedback loop
Understand you now, and no, the dynamic rating isn't a "truly dynamic system" by your definition then. However, year-end ratings do have feedback loops at least for benchmark players for those that played them and these calculations probably do fit your definition. And not to drag us back to football but my football ratings do have a constant/iterative feedback loop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennixpl View Post
just a question- if the prediction was wrong about a particular match up one the first match does it take that into account if i play that exact same player again in match two? perhaps against a particular opponent we have that whole match up thing where he just can't cope with one thing i do while other players can?
I don't believe there is any "match-up" component to the dynamic ratings. It simply generates a rating that reflects how you performed against your competition using the match scores the opponent(s) (and partners if applicable) rating at the time of the match.
schmke is online now   Reply With Quote