View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
lightthestorm
Rookie

Then be more confident and do a full stroke for a winner down the line or cross court.

Look, I know what you are feeling. 3 years ago, as an 8th grader, I was already playing no. 2 for my high school team. We were playing the Upper State Championship*, and I was afraid of making mistakes and costing the team a win against a great team. I lost the first set 6-4 as a result of just playing too soft and playing too defensively.

However, I realized I had to become more confident in my strokes. I swung more fully, came to the Net more, wasn't afraid to serve with more power and spin on second serve... and I won the second set 6-1 and the tiebreaker 10-6.

I kept playing and won the no. 2 singles match in the State Championship 6-4, 6-4 against a senior.

Lesson is, just be confident in your shots.

Oh PS. Barely over the net I think doesn't mean much. It's about what happens in the air and after it lands.

It reminds me of when I was younger, when my coach always point to my degree of my elbow and said he always knew by looking at that if the ball was going to come low over the net or high over the net. But low over the net is better.

*our state has a playoffs split into Upper State and Lower State... whoever wins those division playoffs meet in the finals and play for State
Jeremiah 29:11
lightthestorm is offline   Reply With Quote