View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #17
BU-Tennis
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgressoR View Post
I am not sure net clearance is a strong indicator of whether its a top spin or flat shot, pros can hit a very hard shot which just clears the net and with a ton of top so it still lands deep.

But if its landing around the service line, then I think you want to get it deeper. So either hit it harder with same net clearance, or hit it as hard with more net clearance, and as you hit it higher over the net, you will see that you will need more top to keep it in.

And changing grip? I would hate anyone to give me that advice before I tried some of the above - especially if I liked my grip, was comfortable with it, and discovered a bit of tweaking my shot let me still use that grip and get the results I wanted.
I disagree with that statement, yes even Nadal hits "low" over the net but his low is usually around a foot, my low is just barely skimming, like the OP. Plus, a high amount of topspin makes the ball drop down sooner and does not make it go deeper than a flat stroke.

But I do agree with the changing grip statement. I play with an eastern grip, I hit flat shots (at least off the forehand, I spin my backhands much more since I can't hit them as hard), and I have tried adjusting but its just not the way I play.

To the OP, since you are playing with an eastern grip and definitely hitting flat, your style should be to play aggressive and dictate the points. You won't be able to get enough topspin on the ball (unless you play with a straight arm like federer which allows for more topspin to be applied) to keep playing long rallys; so if your shot isn't hit with authority it will just situp and be easily attackable.

I hit the same as you and I win a lot of matches, but I definitely suffered from fear of missing when I first started out and would end up pushing a lot. I think I got over that fear when I realized I cannot play defensive and must be the attacker, and dedicated myself to that type of tennis.