View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #53
10isfreak
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga tennis View Post
No one would be wise to teach the Roddick serve to little kids. Andy cannot even play tennis now because his shoulder is so messed up.
What position matters in a serve? Trophy pause. Can you, objectively speaking, reach the exact same trophy pause with different movements? Yes.

Abbreviating your service motion has nothing to do with what follows. Your trophy pause matters because that's where you are when you begin your swing... how you get there HAS ABSOLUTELY NO INFLUENCE WHATSOEVER on what follows. It could have an influence if it fundamentally altered the trophy pause, but, as I said, you can get in the exact same position with different movements.

In my case, abbreviating the swing enables me to toss the ball without moving my shoulders and without moving my legs. It's the single best thing that happened for my serve because I mess up the toss WAY LESS often that way. No shoulder problem here and I used to hit a few hundreds of these every week...

I'd say it's wise to teach it and dumb to believe it can hurt you. A preparation never hurts you if you get into the right position before swinging and many of them can. It's probably the smartest way to teach a serve because it involves the fewest possible movements.