View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
jmnk
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torres View Post
That's just the pre-tournament 1st qualifying round is it not? He would have had to have had to won all 4 rounds in qualifying to have got into the main draw but lost in the 1st round of qualifying.

His background is likely to be from abroad as he has no USTA record prior to this year and is probably just using the NTRP tournaments to find his level. Not uncommon. But he'll be higher than 4.0 given that he's winning all his matches at that level pretty easily, but he's clearly not at challenger level.
Exactly the point. Judging from his official USTA results it seems he is not really close to a challenger level player. So why would the organizers give him WC? This is a tournament in the Chicago suburb. One would think there's plenty of players form colleges nearby, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmatheis View Post
Look at this page and select mens 4.0 singles then click his name in the draw and you get a larger record of his tournaments

http://tennislink.usta.com/Tournamen....aspx?T=133108

It looks like he plays open (although it's not like he wins them all) and then he has a couple 4.0 tournies thrown in where he hasn't lost a set except when he withdrew. Perhaps where he is there isn't much tennis and the organizers allow him to play 4.0 sometimes (assuming there isn't anything higher at those tournies)

Still looks a little weak to be getting a wildcard into a futures ... but maybe someone who knows a little more can shed some light.
yes indeed. plus this is a Challenger, a step above futures. (And he actually did lose sets in those 4.0 NTPR tournaments).

Quote:
Originally Posted by josofo View Post
I have told this story before. A local 5.0 showed up at the challenger and asked to get in (the quailes) they let him in and he lost 6-0 6-3 to a young dimitri tursenov
I suppose that must be it. I still can't believe that organizers of a Challenger in Chicago suburb can't fill the qualifying draw with players with at least established college results.
jmnk is offline   Reply With Quote