View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #44
BevelDevil
Hall Of Fame

Yes, Gasquet is not as extreme as Henin, but I think calling it "conservative" is just as misleading. It's still a pretty "strong" grip compared to a lot of pros, and certainly stronger than what beginners usually learn, from what I've seen.

I think it's reasonable to say Dimitrov, Wawrinka and Federer use more conservative grips than Almagro/Gasquet. So I think it's useful to maintain the distinction.

But ultimately, a 1-dimensional scale of extremeness is problematic and subjective (as far as I've seen). For example, if someone uses a grip where their knuckle and their heel pad are both on bevel 8 (as some rec players use) then there will be a very obtuse angle between racket and angle, yet should that still be described as "conservative"? What about Tommy Haas, who has a pretty tight angle at contact, yet his knuckle is in the mild-Eastern/continental position?

Btw, Almagro and Gasquet are hitting balls around their kneecaps so I'm not sure how much weight to place in these particular pics.
BevelDevil is offline   Reply With Quote