View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #19
Sumo
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueFLIP View Post
Again, it's an ELECTIVE surgery. I know pleny of people and patients who compete in sports activities without an ACL.

Personal note: uncle (professor at NorthWestern University - so he's an intelligent guy who did his research) with complete tear of ACL....runs, does Brazillian Jiu-Jijitsu.....no problems.

Another physical therapist friend of mine, complete tear of ACL.....owns his own business, so isn't able to take the time off...but that was only part of the reason to forgo the surgery....lots of rehab, but again, runs, other athletic endeavors, going for 2nd degree black belt in karate....no problems....

It's possible to survive without one. And yes playing tennis too.

But if you feel like you want to get it done for peace of mind, by all means, get the surgery.

I'm just trying to paint the picture that you can function very well without one.
This is definitely true, but depends on how your knee is built. I personally couldn't have done much had I not had the surgery. I had it collapse multiple times just walking around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin_patel View Post
Thanks, I am planning to go to another doctor in couple of days.

Which acl graft did you use? both the doctors i visited suggested if i have to go for surgery, cadaver graft works for me..
I went patella, but mostly because that was what my surgeon did. My surgery was also in 2001, and orthopedics have advanced a lot since then, so it's very possible it would be done differently if I had it today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueFLIP View Post
There isn't a specific exercise/stretch/program designed to prevent ACL tears.

You'd be surprised what a generalized strength and conditioning/flexibility program can do to prevent injuries and aid in recovery times for small nagging things.

But in the end, if it's your time, it's your time.
I'm convinced mine happened because I was out of shape. Vowed afterwards to never let that be the reason for something like that again.
Sumo is offline   Reply With Quote