View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
ednegroni
Rookie

Default Luxilon ALU Power Spin comparison help

Question for anyone who has (extensively) used ALU Power Spin: Have you used a string that plays about the same that breaks with less frequency?

My info:

Full Bed @ 52 or 53
I used a Pro Open for 2 years, strings lasted maybe 2 weeks. I'm currenntly using a Six One Team (16x18, with 3&9 lead), string lasts a week.

In case anyone is wondering: I'm a versatile player (4.5) but I like driving through the ball a lot. I mostly play doubles in the league, but when I practice I more than likely just hit for 1-1.5 hours.

This is my "review" of the following Luxilon strings:

ALU Power Spin: My favorite by a large margin. With my style of play, I gain considerably more power and tons more spin access using this string. The most noticeable difference is in my slice (ground strokes and serve) and kick serve.

ALU Power (Regular): Lasts the longest for me (by just a couple of days), very harsh on the arm. Found more power than the Rough, still less than Spin.

ALU Power Rough: I found it held tension the longest and lasted less than the Regular version but still more than the Spin. I liked it the least, felt dead (as far as Polys go), and it gripped the ball the last of the three (my slice would "float" much more with comparable hits).

Those were my first Polys, and since I started using the Spin version I haven't really had a reason to switch. My only concern at the moment is that it's breaking more often with my current racquet (16x18 is the devil). That said, I've looked and tried various strings and it hasn't even been close to what I like from the ALU Power Spin.

RPM: Broke in a couple of days, less power = short balls = would never miss long.

Tourna Big Hitter Black: Comparable to the RPM, dead feel, broke even faster.

Kirschbaum Spiky Shark: Felt heavy on the arm, gripped real well, lots of control.

I tried some other strings that I don't even remember, but as far as liveliness goes, most felt about the same except for a few (ALU Rough, BHB7 felt dead).
ednegroni is offline   Reply With Quote