View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #26
andfor
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman40 View Post
I mostly agree with what you're saying, my point is that stroke development is low on a priority list. If you have an assistant coach, that's a different story. If you have time to do everything, then yeah, it should be done. I just think that a great head coach doesn't necessary have to be a great player, which is what this thread is about.
Stroke development would be low on the priority list for a player who is technically sound. Stroke development could be one shot, such as volleys. In todays game even at the highest level volleys are often some of the least developed strokes for incoming freshman. Even great college players will have one shot that could improve.

Many programs have an assistant. They could be full-time, part-time, volunteer or even a graduate student.

Agreed, a great coach does not need to have been a great player. A great player does not necessarily by default have the background or ability to teach strong stroke mechanics.