View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 12:39 AM   #13
Moose Malloy
Legend

here's an article I came across

Quote:
Seventeen-year-old Michael Chang of Placentia, Calif., turned in another display of gutsy tennis here today, winning a 4-hour-5-minute match with Andrei Chesnokov of the Soviet Union, 6-1, 5-7, 7-6, 7-5, to become the youngest male player to reach the final of the French Open or any other Grand Slam tournament.

In the second semifinal, Stefan Edberg of Sweden beat Boris Becker of West Germany, 6-3, 6-4, 5-7, 3-6, 6-2, in a match that lasted almost as long as the first. The 15th-seeded Chang, who upset top-seeded Ivan Lendl in the fourth round, will play the 3d-seeded Edberg on Sunday for the championship, worth about $300,000.

In contrast to Chang and Chesnokov, who wore each other down with ground strokes, Becker, who was seeded second, and Edberg traded points quickly in a flashy contest of volleys and passing shots. They got through their five sets in 3:55.

''A lot of people didn't think I could play well on clay, but I always knew I could play well on it,'' said the 23-year-old Edberg, who won at Wimbledon last year but had never gone beyond the quarterfinals here.

Edberg said he thought he was going to win in the third set, when he came back from 4-5 and 15-40 to stay in the set. But Becker broke serve to win the set at 7-5 on a perfect backhand crosscourt passing shot.

''It was a really tough match,'' Edberg said. ''In the fifth set, I lost my serve immediately and felt very tired, but then I broke back and started playing well again.''

Serving at 4-5, Chang survived three set points in a game that went to deuce seven times. Chesnokov lost the first two on errors, but Chang saved the third with a smash.

In the tie breaker, with Chang serving at 5 points to 4, Chesnokov lost a chance to even the score when one of his blistering backhand shots went wide by a hair.

''I didn't play badly,'' said the 23-year-old Chesnokov, who was unseeded here but upset fourth-seeded Mats Wilander in the quarterfinals. ''But I'm unhappy that I couldn't hit winners on set point.''

In the fourth set, Chang fought back from deficits of 3-1 and 4-2 until Chesnokov was serving to stay in the match at 4-5. Chang had a match point at 30-40, but lost it on a long forehand. Chesnokov gave him another chance with a long ball of his own, but then survived on a winning volley to make it 5-5. Two games later, Chang finally put the match away after Chesnokov saved one more match point.

''I was pretty relaxed,'' Chang said. ''I waited for my shots. But it was a tough match. Each point was really hard. So much back and forth. So many break points and ad points.''
http://www.nytimes.com/1989/06/10/sp...ench-open.html

Last edited by Moose Malloy : 07-11-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Moose Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote