View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 05:38 AM   #2
TimeSpiral
Professional

I recommend posting a few basics, perhaps: what grip are you using on both the FH and the BH? Are you having trouble with this shot as a rally ball? Do you notice trouble in any specific court position? What's your preferred shot: FH or BH?

It seems at least slightly unusual that you're fine with BH's of any height, but not chest high FH's--leads me to believe you're using a 2HBH, and a neutral FH grip, like the Continental or Eastern.

At the 3.0 level, you're probably getting a ton of high balls, because players are more inclined to push the ball back in play--as opposed to attempting to hit winners.

I don't feel there is a "right way" to play this shot, but I'll throw a few ideas out there:
  1. If you want to spin the ball back, and keep the rally neutral, get the racquet in a semi-western grip during your set up, and spin the ball to your opponent's weaker shot.
  2. If you want to attack the ball, you can still use the SW grip, but try driving through the ball for a flatter shot, and hit to the open court (perhaps come in behind it).
  3. Don't discount the FH slice (I don't mean the backspin push!). If you're getting a ton of high balls, throw a few FH slices back at your opponent and make them "hit up" on the low bouncing ball. Sometimes, if someone bounces a ball to--or above--my shoulders on my forehand side, I will throw in a half-overhead FH slice. The ball moves in the air a lot, and essentially skids low on the court surface.
  4. Taking the ball early is fairly advanced, imo. I probably wouldn't recommend it during match play until you're comfortable with it.
  5. Taking the ball late--sometimes called "holding" the ball--can be effective. Sometimes while holding on to the ball your opponent will show his hand. You might see him leaning to his BH, or FH, or maybe wanting to come in. Either way, giving him a bunch of time will actually show you how he intends to return your shot, and since you're holding it, you can alter your shot selection to punish what you perceive to be his choice. I find this tactic more effective when you're going for the winner though.
  6. And of course, depending on your court position, chest high balls can be relatively easy drop shot opportunities. Just remember to come in behind your DS and keep the ball in front of you.
  7. At the 3.0 level the shot patterns can become very predictable and players rarely have reliable passing shots. Once you're figured out your opponent's shot patterns, consider coming in and taking some volleys.
I don't know that any of this helps. It's a pretty general question about a fairly common shot.