View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #31
sovertennis
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceWithThat View Post
I'm a 40yo female and tore my ACL in April playing tennis. I also had a tibia contusion form the force of the rupture and a minor lateral meniscus tear.

Did you see an orthopedist or a GP? My MRI was read by three different radiologists, and only one recognized that my ACL was torn (complete). My GP claimed my ACL seemed fine after his exam, but an orthopedist was able to notice the tear on his exam.

I just had the reconstructive surgery two weeks ago. I decided to do it because I want to continue to play tennis, which because of the movements specific to the sport really shouldn't be played without an ACL.

I was pretty worried about the surgery, but I am glad I did it, happily reporting that I have been walking, almost normally, for several days now. I am really amazed at how quickly I am recovering from this procedure.
I had a very similar experience when I was 40, which was a few years ago. IMO, the surgery is necessary to avoid ongoing instability and to decrease the chance of arthritis developing prematurely, if at all. The rehab will take about nine months, if you go about it diligently and properly. In the 15 years since I had the surgery I've continued to play tennis, as well as soccer, mt biking, running, etc, all completely normally.