Originally Posted by Hops
inspired by recent thread ...
Guidelines: looking for most draw opponents who were slam champs, and total slams by those opponents. Example -
Sampras, 1994 Australian. En route to the title he defeated Kafelnikov (R64), Lendl (R16), and Courier (SF). These players won 2+8+4 = 14 slams. Sampras draw = 3 slammers, 14 slams. Yevgeny had no slams at the time, but we're giving him credit for his 2 career slams. All clear? Questions are for Open Era only.
1) Who is the only slam champ to defeat five (5) fellow slam champs en route to the title?
2) There is one other player who had 5 slam champs in his draw. He defeated four of them, but lost in the final to the fifth. Who was he?
3) Whose draw had opponents with the largest total of slams? This player is not the answer to questions (1) or (2).
4) Softball, that just came out of the research. Who is the only player to face Federer and Sampras in the same slam?
- Sampras met Rafter, Agassi, Safin then lost the final to Hewitt at the USO 2001. His opponents hold 14 slams together.
- Edberg defeated Krajicek, Lendl, Chang and Sampras to win the USO 1992. His opponents hold 24 slams together.
- Nadal defeated Djokovic and Federer to win RG. His opponents hold together 23 slams.