View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #49
WildVolley
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshs View Post
There is no reason for jumping, pros do not jump. They take off due to the upward thrust, just like a place takes off due to pressure differential between bottom and top of the wings.

Brian Battisone may jump, and I think I have read that his movement is barely legal. Of all the pros out there, he is not important enough to talk about.
This common tennis player wisdom is like a movie monster that can't be killed.

Of course tennis players jump. But since tennis players were taught not to jump they have to come up with mystical and idiotic explanations for how they are moving into the air. Can you imagine how stupid players of other sports would sound if they tried to use this logic (and I do understand that sureshs may be joking): Basketball players don't jump, they rise into the air due to pushing off the ground; high jumpers don't jump, they rise into the air due to the kinetic chain and momentum.

Why is LeeD off the rails on this thread?

Jumping in tennis definitely can increase power if it is timed correctly. LeeD must know this? Baseball pitchers lunge forward, javelin throwers run into the throw. These motions help load the shoulder and chest and provide more power. A correctly timed jump in tennis can absolutely do the same thing. It isn't the primary power source, but there is no question it can help.
WildVolley is offline   Reply With Quote