View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #28
adventure
Banned

If you're only playing two matches a week, it really should not take you very long to recover, esp. if you are 28.

It sounds like you exercise regularly, in addition to playing.

Age is not an issue, plus you are physically active. Perhaps your food intake? Too much? Too little? Not eating as healthy as you can?

I'm grasping at straws here, but two matches a week at your age should not be terribly taxing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lendledbergfan View Post
I've felt this for the last 2-3 months ever since I've started playing regularly (which means twice a week) that the post match recovery takes a long time.

I played a long three setter (7-6 in the third, almost 2.5 hours) on Tuesday night (in decently cool conditions around 17-18C) and I can still feel a bit of pain and stiffness in my legs (its Thursday morning right now).

What is the best way to make sure that the recovery takes less? Assume that I'm a recreational player who plays local league matches but does not have sophisticated techniques at my disposal.

Here's my current routine:

- Come 10-15 early to the match. Warm up for 10 minutes. Practice serves for 5 minutes
- Play match. Carry enough water and keep myself hydrated during the match.
- Have a power bar or two during the match. Sometimes I carry a banana.

Post match: Light cool down and drive back home. Occasionally I put some cold packs on my legs, but not always.

I'm a 3.25 player (definitely above 3.0 but not in the 3.5 league) where I do play some long rallies but pace is not that high.

EDIT: I'm a 28yrs old male, ~170lbs (76kgs). I do some running in the gym 2-3 times a week, and some strength training (mostly at home).

Thanks much!
adventure is offline   Reply With Quote