View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #1391
timnz
Hall Of Fame

Default Probably

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyOne View Post
timnz, I contradict.

Nüsslein won nine pro majors on clay: he also won the 1936 World Championships at Paris plus four times the British pro at Southport (1936 to 1939). But more important, Kozeluh was never the No. 1 on clay (I rank him No.3 for several years) while Nüsslein was possibly best claycourter in five or six years!

As you rightly write, the pro competition in the 1920s was weaker than in the 1930s.

Nüsslein had to deal with Budge, Vines, Tilden and Cochet; Kozeluh had to deal with Richards (not strong on clay) and Najuch...
You are possibly right. (Though please could you list the 9 clay majors?) The Southport Pro was probably at least the equal of the Bristol Cup. That would put them on a even footing. However, I haven't seen a convincing argument that Kozeluh was a lesser player on clay than the French Amateur Players of the late 1920's. (Tilden lead him on clay in 1931 - but it was reasonably close - however Tilden, on ocassion, also beat the French players in the 1925-1930 period on clay). Hence Kozeluh possibly could have been the number 1 on clay during that period.
timnz is offline   Reply With Quote