View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #43
borg number one
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY1 View Post
I look at all players objectively and have no preferences, I just love the era.
The secret in life and in tennis is to look at and judge things objectively and clearly, not to look at things through tinted glasses, albeit Borg, Connors or McEnroe glasses.
Only then we can see things clearly!
It helps to be cognizant that everyone has their own biases, greatly shaped by a myriad of factors. This is a good read on the topic. All fans have their own biases, for example, who did you watch the most, what playing style do you prefer, what do you prioritize? Fans on every player should be congnizant of biases in my opinion, whether they are fans of Laver, Rosewall, Borg, Connors, McEnroe, Sampras, Agassi, Nadal, Federer, Lendl, etc. Much has to do with the fact that we often discuss matters that are very subjective by their very nature. Plus, even "objective" items often require context, such as # Masters shields (well, consider how the Tour and Masters series evolved over time..no wonder Nadal has more Masters shields than Laver...).

http://www.boston.com/news/science/b...XC1K/blog.html