View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #47
JAY1
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg number one View Post
Yes, that's true. It's just we can't even agree on what is truly objective in many ways. It's helpful to also see personal perspectives and subjective arguments. It's what makes many discussions interesting in my experience. It's fruitful to consider both the subjective and objective in discussion really. It's also helpful to realize that even with the "objective" there are often subjective factors. Example, with major count, which ones does one choose to count in years pre-Open? Who has really won the most majors? That's an example of when even the "objective" number tallied may be influenced by what one chooses to emphasize. Also, the use of "I" can be used to signal to the reader that you are presenting a subjective/personal view and others are free to disagree.
You're an excellent poster on here, as are about dozen of you whose Talk Tennis posts I regularly read.
The amount of knowledge is amazing but I just wish some of you could take your bias out of certain comments.
It's hard to respect certain comments when you know it is said out of bias and not objectiveness, ie; a parent says " my kid is the fastest runner, the strongest, the cleverest, the prettiest etc etc....
Lets say I'm a McEnroe fan (I'm not his biggest fan to be honest), I would say, " I think he has the best serve ever, best volleys, most natural talent, most exciting, best ground strokes " every time a new thread was posted. It doesn't matter how knowledgable or how much of a expert that poster was, one would find it hard to completely respect their views.
JAY1 is offline   Reply With Quote