View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #48
borg number one
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY1 View Post
You're an excellent poster on here, as are about dozen of you whose Talk Tennis posts I regularly read.
The amount of knowledge is amazing but I just wish some of you could take your bias out of certain comments.
It's hard to respect certain comments when you know it is said out of bias and not objectiveness, ie; a parent says " my kid is the fastest runner, the strongest, the cleverest, the prettiest etc etc....
Lets say I'm a McEnroe fan (I'm not his biggest fan to be honest), I would say, " I think he has the best serve ever, best volleys, most natural talent, most exciting, best ground strokes " every time a new thread was posted. It doesn't matter how knowledgable or how much of a expert that poster was, one would find it hard to completely respect their views.
Jay1, thanks. Words like best and exciting are very nebulous terms, impossible to define precisely though. You have to be specific about just why you consider something or someone to be the "best" or "most exciting". It's different than saying that "Nadal is the winningest player at the French Open". That's easy to measure. You can't change the posting styles of other posters though. All one can do is try and post effectively and also share their own views. That't what an internet forum is. Everyone has a right to their opinion. We can't get around that. I don't mind when posters provide their own views on all players, even current players in this section. It's a free forum in that way. I like hearing it all. If you ask posters at Talk Tennis about what the "best" or most exciting "x" is, you are going to get opinions from here to eternity.

Last edited by borg number one : 09-01-2013 at 10:40 AM.
borg number one is online now   Reply With Quote