View Single Post
Old 09-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #42
asimple
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysphinx View Post
You are asking us to prove a negative.

Nowhere in the rules does it say that the person who hits a shot gets to decide if the out call was timely enough. Absent such a provision, then we default to "You call your side of the net and I call mine, no matter how bogus you think my call was."
I'm not asking you to prove anything. I don't have a clue what the rule should be and could see it go either way. I can see your point in general about defaulting to the caller's side, but then that should be explicitly stated in the rules.

Quote:
There are other Code provisions where the Code gives a directive but does not give a remedy if it is violated. Whether an out call is prompt is one example. Other examples are whether someone is returning Obviously Out Serves and server's obligation to announce the score. These things can be addressed by a roving official who witnesses the infraction.
There are remedies to the cases you mentioned which are in the rules.

1. If someone plays obviously out balls the call stands
2. I believe the score is reset to the last agreed up on score in this case

Quote:
So no. The person who hits a shot does not get to decide that the call came too late and demand a let or demand the point. IMHO.
I think the key point here is IMHO. As I have said before I believe your opinion makes sense but without it being based on the rules it is just an opinion no matter how adamant it is.
asimple is offline   Reply With Quote