View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 06:25 AM   #11
storypeddler
Semi-Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to storypeddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatt_town View Post
I'll start... I'm curious to see are your expectations different in gender versus mixed. I'm especially curious to hear what women expect playing women's doubles.

In men's doubles. 1. I expect guys to come to the net first and foremost. I hate playing with a guy that thinks he can hit his way through two guys coming into the net from two feet behind the baseline. 2. Another pet peave is get your damn serve in. I don't want hear that you have to hit it 120 to get it in(One guy told me that). 3. The last thing is move with me if the ball is hit to me. The court basically moves with the ball. If they run me wide...bring yourself to the middle at the very least.

In mixed doubles the things I expect most are 1. Get your serve in deep as possible. It doesn't need to be 120. Most men don't serve that hard. I just needs to be placed well. 2. Follow the ball. If I hit a serve wide in the deuce court...please don't come to the middle and open the alley up. 3...This is my biggest thing in mixed. Please please do not switch on balls that are lobbed over your head and fall 6 to 8 inches behind your service box.

It's one thing to not be able to step back and crank and overhead. I can live with that, but please don't make me play balls behind you that far in the court. One other thing I forgot..4. If I have to go back and get a lob...don't just switch...get back as chances are I'm sending a lob back. The last thing I wanna see after getting my foot disloged from the fence(it happens a lot as I track them down all the way to the fence if needed...lol) is the guy on the other side of the net putting a ball away behind you as you are bent over at the net watching me....lol
I have two things to say to you.

First, your points are all valid ones.

Second, get over yourself and deal with playing in the real world of recreational tennis. The average rec player is struggling with a half dozen basic fundamentals already, and now you want to load him/her up with this much strategy and tactics right out of the box? Unless you are playing at a very high level (4.5 and above), and your partner is of equal strength and experience, you are expecting way too much. Your wishes aren't too much---but they are too much for the average rec player to do consistently.
storypeddler is offline   Reply With Quote