View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #71
Chas Tennis
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintft View Post
Same here with surgery in 1997(after waiting at least 6 months) and 2012-2013(this winter), when I was afraid that I'd need surgery on the other knee, but the meniscus healed on itself in about 10 days with moderate exercise (less intense tennis movement- aka lessons in two), glucosamine, Omega 3, Vitamin D and aspirin. Finished the hard court season with no problems and then I've played on clay the whole summer with no problems.
In my cases that you quoted, I should point out that I saw a Dr and got an MRI both times. In 1999 the Dr thought that it was reasonable for me to see if the meniscus would heal and guessed that the chance that I would need surgery was 75%. I did. In 2011, with a meniscus tear again indicated on the MRI, he thought that it did not look too bad and that I could ease back to playing in a few weeks. I knew I was not ready to play that soon, took 3 months, and had to slowly build up my running over another month before any tennis.

Individual injuries are all different - what may happen may depend on the exact location and nature of the damage to the meniscus. Research different meniscus injuries.

This site mentions the possibility of a torn meniscus causing subsequent damage to the articular cartilage - a strong reason why a Dr needs to handle this injury.
http://www.miamisportsmedicine.com/MeniscalInjury.html

Last edited by Chas Tennis : 09-21-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Chas Tennis is offline   Reply With Quote