View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #11
TimeSpiral
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagelMe View Post
Hey, how's it going everyone. I need all your help, seriously, in developing an effective game.

I've been told by many that I am very "talented" and have all the shots in the book by many. I have big serves, great groundstrokes, consistency and good footwork. Yet I manage to crash and burn in many of my matches because my mental game is quite crappy. I'm condescending, a quitter/tanker, etc. Really just a terrible person on the court.

I desperately want to make a change for the better, so maybe a little tips here and there will be well appreciated. Don't be afraid to get personal or make assumptions. I'm open to criticism.

Thanks!
Assuming this is a serious OP, here are some suggestions:
  1. Losing is part of competing. Be prepared to lose.
  2. You are probably good, but the other guy could be better. If so, so be it.
  3. Change your inner dialogue from negative to positive. For instance:
    1. How could I miss such an easy shot? Stupid. So stupid. CHANGES TO: That should have been an easy shot. Stay focused; play the ball.
    2. Whelp, I just can't hit a backhand. My backhand sucks balls. CHANGES TO: You should have sliced that ball, not went for the TS DTL. Next time, slice the ball. Get it back in play.
    3. You get the idea. Reword every inner dialogue that is negative to a small and simple bite-sized goal.
  4. Do not assume you're better than your opponent. Let the score after the match decide who was the better player.
  5. There are no points for pretty strokes. Only points are points in competition.
  6. Tennis is like Chinese food. It's already chopped up into bite size pieces for you. Grab the chop sticks and eat it one piece at a time, don't try and stuff the whole damn eggroll in your mouth.
    1. What I mean by this is: if you're on the verge of a meltdown, or on the other side of the meltdown, scale back your goals. Instead of "win this game," change it to, "play your BH's cross court." Instead of, "I have to hold this service game, or it's over," change your goal to, "If he gives me an inside FH, play his backhand."
    2. Each time you successfully accomplish a goal, your confidence gains a point. The smaller the goals, the faster your confidence increases.
Good luck!