View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #12
TimeSpiral
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkelley View Post
90-100 mph is not ATP level speed. And there's more to a pro serve than just speed. The OP is not claiming to have a pro level serve.

If you have something constructive or helpful to say, please offer it. Otherwise you might want to spend some time looking up serve speeds on the pro tour and what other factors go into a pro level serve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv255 View Post
Actually, OP seems legit (and familiar to me). Serving a tennis ball flat, 95 mph, isn't too difficult. It's consistency and placement that separate ATP and park rec, speed aside for a moment. Imo, if we're talking serve stats and speeds, ATP-level tends to start at hitting 70% top-slice first serves at approx. 110 mph with a target 6 inches wide. Few ATP players hit flat 95 mph serves.
From personal experience, my returning skills lag extremely far behind my serve, which has lead to problems in my matches. I couldn't start the point because I couldn't put a return into play, and when I played excellent returners, I would essentially have to end the point in 3 shots to have any chance of holding.
Look guys, there's enough trolling on this forum for me to be dubious about this claim. Do you disagree? You can push back, that's fine, but I don't think I was way out of line (even though I was being slightly fun with my post, which should have been obvious too). I did say "near-ATP levels," talking strictly about pace. I don't think that's way off either. Donald Young, according to some US Open stats, AVG 1st Serve Speed is about 101 MPH. There are some other guys close to this as well.

Obviously there is more to a serve than pace, but that's what we're talking about, so that's what I was comparing. I would argue that if you can serve, on AVG at 90-100 MPH, then that is near ATP levels. Why even push back on that?

Plus, it's pretty common to request video and level of play when someone is asking for instruction around here. Is it not? What kind of returns are these guys hitting off of 100 MPH serves? This sounds like a pretty high level of rec play to me.