View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #39
goran_ace
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoyaPride View Post
That said, if I'm framing an inordinate number of backhands, I just stop because there's clearly something off with my technique (assuming we're talking about a practice session here, not a match). If one thing seems off, I always assume it's a technical problem, and I just work at that one thing for a little while. Sometimes it's good to just stop playing all together so that you have time to reflect on what you're doing. More practice can be a good thing, but it can also be a bad thing if you're practicing something over and over incorrectly.
No offense, but that sounds like tanking to me. If I had ever quit on a practice because I was having a bad day my coach would have told me to never to come back. We all have our ups and downs, but if you want to improve as a player, when you're having a bad day you have to be able to fix it on the fly and/or adjust your game plan and figure out how to work with what else you've got. If you're drilling, you focus on the right things until you get it right. If your backhand is gone in competitive play you need to either need to hit all slices on that side or use tactics to protect that side. You play until your time is up or the match is decided. Finish what you started.

Last edited by goran_ace : 10-15-2013 at 03:24 PM.
goran_ace is offline   Reply With Quote