View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 06:20 AM   #11
TimeSpiral
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by easywin View Post
Mmh so you think that in the future someone will come along and play 2 forehands but is still able to switch to a backhand stance to play effective slices or backhands ?

If someone could do that it would be great for him. The reason why i doubt it : At least as important than your strokes is your ability to compete. You learn to compete at a high level with high expecations as a kid if you want to become a pro - but i think kids/young teenagers will not be efficient if they got such a huge shot arsenal. Every stroke can be a forehand, a backhand, a forehand slice, a backhand slice etc. It will confuse the young players more than it will benefit them.

Time will tell but I highly doubt that something like that can be efficient just like you won't see a pro being able to serve right- and lefthanded to make use of opening the court better or sth. like that.
Time will tell? I see what you did there

I really don't think it's a huge stretch, in fact, it seems like a logical inevitability. The next generation almost always innovates and takes things to a level not previously thought possible. So many reasons why this happens, one obvious one being they have all the information from their predecessors available to them when they are first starting: that's a tremendous advantage.

Someone will figure it out. People are already working on it, as evidenced by the second video. The logical extension of two forehands is also having two backhands.

For instance: someone draws you out wide to the deuce court > you respond with with a RHFH > opponent plays great shot to open court > you need to defend > quickly switch to a RHBH grip > defend > ready position.

Never underestimate the lengths children will go to master something. All it takes is information from predecessors to inspire them, and some will take it to the next level. As the first crop of double forehanders start making waves, be assured the next gen will try it and innovate it even further.