View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
Frank Silbermann
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by easywin View Post
I'd go for 2 backhands.
Why ? A player with 2 forehands is very limited. No slices, or at least no effective ones.
Jimmy Connors had a great slice (actually side spin) forehand down-the-line. So did Jack Kramer. Bill Tilden, Arthur Ashe and Illie Nastase frequently hit slice (underspin) forehands using continental grips.

Quote:
Volleys are better on the backhand side for most players.
Except for high volleys (the only ones you can really tee-off on). And drive-volleys.
Actually, I volley best two-handed, going to a forehand volley on either side if the ball is difficult to reach. But the volley is a completely different stroke. You can volley two-handed while hitting one-handed forehand ground strokes just as you can volley continental despite hitting semi-western ground strokes.

Quote:
of course the forehand has more potential on developing spin and speed but that doesn't make up for the lack of possibilities to structure your game. If your opponent has got a good day I want to see you trying to break his rythm with 2 forehands.
And yet, I see match after match on TV where every player is trying to turn everything he can into a forehand, and doing his best to force his opponent to hit backhands. Some of them must be having good days, yet I don't see their opponents running around their forehands so they can break up their opponents' rhythm with backhand slices.
Frank Silbermann is offline   Reply With Quote