View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 04:31 AM   #7
easywin
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Silbermann View Post
Jimmy Connors had a great slice (actually side spin) forehand down-the-line. So did Jack Kramer. Bill Tilden, Arthur Ashe and Illie Nastase frequently hit slice (underspin) forehands using continental grips.
Thats true but tennis is different now than it was then.

Quote:
Except for high volleys (the only ones you can really tee-off on). And drive-volleys.
Actually, I volley best two-handed, going to a forehand volley on either side if the ball is difficult to reach. But the volley is a completely different stroke. You can volley two-handed while hitting one-handed forehand ground strokes just as you can volley continental despite hitting semi-western ground strokes.
Yeah that's true. It would propably not be that important anyways due to the slow courts and 95% baseline play (if we're speaking about pro's).

Quote:
And yet, I see match after match on TV where every player is trying to turn everything he can into a forehand, and doing his best to force his opponent to hit backhands. Some of them must be having good days, yet I don't see their opponents running around their forehands so they can break up their opponents' rhythm with backhand slices.
Well if you look at Nadals adjustements he did to beat Djokovic, the backhand slice plays an important role. Of course the forehand will still be the better stroke but we're talking a total lack of slices - if you can name a player that is successfully using forehand slices in our times other than on approach shots or improvising I'll look at the footage

Of course the thing open to discussion ( or more to opinions since there is no professional with 2 forehands that can bring evidence ) is if the 2 forehands are equally strong, maybe the player will still run around balls to hit with the stronger forehand. I would not necessarily say that the backhand has to be the weaker stroke - quick question on that topic : Does anybody know if ambidexterity is favored by unique brain structures or is just a process of learning it as a child ( if wanted or not ) ?

If we're talking the perfect baseline player - like a guy with 2 Del Potro forehands - who can hit amazing winners from both sides frequently then I totally agree. 2 forehands have way more potential - I just don't think it's realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildVolley View Post
While he hit a two-handed fh, Santoro seems to be the big exception to your observation. He definitely preferred to hit wicked slice off his forehand side rather than his backhand, which he would often topspin.
Yeah he is definitely an exception
easywin is online now   Reply With Quote