View Single Post
Old 08-16-2004, 03:57 PM   #6
Bungalo Bill
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin
I hope you didn't hit your head too hard, there's a lot of valuable information in there.

Improving energy transfer is actually what inspired this post, so I'll try to explain what information I'm after from a more general view.

I want a more solid understanding of the overall kinetic chain. The major part that is missing is the sequence of movements that happen in the hips, back, and shoulders to build momentum and transfer it along the chain. I want to make sure I have this right so that maximum energy is being transferred to the loose and relaxed arm that I am developing.

I guess I don't really care what muscles are involved and to what extent as long as I sufficiently understand each link of the chain. Or at least each significant link.
Vin, you prpbably need a physicist to explain kenetic energy in order to understand how it relates to tennis.

This is all I know and I could be wrong, from there I just can see it. I can see things that someone else may not see and I dont know why I can see it.

So here is my take on kenetic energy (again it may need some refining) and please correct me if I am wrong:

KENETIC ENERGY AND POTENTIAL ENERGY

Kinetic Energy: A gymnast on the beam has kineatic energy. The movements and flips that she does show the energy that is being displayed while she is moving. When you are running, walking, or jumping, your body is exhibiting kinetic energy.

Potential Energy: By stretching a rubber band, you give it potential energy. A book on a shelf has stored potential energy. A baseball in a glove has potential energy until it is thrown and it turns into kinetic energy

Potential and Kinetic Energy: A waterfall has both kinetic and potential energy. The water at the top of the waterfall has stored potential energy. Once the water leaves the top of the waterfall, the potential energy is changed into kinetic energy.

So when you apply pressure against the ground with your feet as you coil (hip stretch, shoulder coil) this is storing potential energy. You don't want anything dissapating this energy (hitches, knee dips, etc.) in the transfer of potential energy into kinetic energy. Kinetic energy is how the release of potential energy moves through the body activating each body part to perform the serve. You can allow the continuance of kinetic energy through braking certain body parts to allow potential energy to be stored and released briefly as kinetic energy is sent through the body.

Gravity works against kinetic energy or works with kinetic energy (ball going up or the latter ball coming down).

If you're relaxed, kinetic energy flows through the body with less friction or short circuits.

From here, you are on your own or maybe some of the smarter tennis players here can add, change, delete to further explain.