Old 12-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #31
movdqa
Legend

> Simply because at the pro level, those kind of high topspin
> is much more prevalent than what me and you would face
> at the rec level. And so naturally, they would have more
> practice against it and perceive it as a "norm" to certain
> degree.

The better players that I play against pound the backhand, some with flatter strokes and some with topspin strokes. You have to be able to defend this if you use a OHBH or you're going to lose a lot of points on that side.

I find that there are two ways to handle them - either take it early - basically brush the racquet up against the ball looking for a high spinner back to either the middle of the court or ideally to their backhand corner with moderate to heavy pace (depending on position, preparation and time). The other person will generally get to the ball - I find putaway attempts on this kind of a shot to be low-percentage.

On high backhands where I move back, the usual idea is to try to hit a lot of topspin to the middle of the court or to the backhand. Of course hitting it to the middle means that I'm going to get another one on the next shot. Putting it to his backhand corner usually neutralizes the initiative. Players seldom come in on this kind of a shot - if I see a pattern of coming in, then I try to hit the backhand down-the-line, with or without pace. Someone coming in and then backpeddling to get a high shot near the forehand corner is going to wind up on the defensive. I do sometimes hit the ball to the forehand corner if I think that they're leaning too far over to the backhand side. They will generally get to the ball but they will usually be somewhat off balance.

In general, I have a hard time executing this with lighter racquets.