View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #16
prostaff_fan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW10S View Post
Playing on good, well manicured grass courts is a lot of fun--I like it, a lot. Playing on bad grass courts is a challenge. I played on those same grass courts in your video for a tournament a few years back and they played well as they had been prepared for tournament play. In your video the grass looks pretty long (great for your lawn, not so good to play tennis on). I remember visiting some students of mine in Vancouver, Canada. They had arranged for us to play on a private grass court and when we arrived the owner was exhausted because he had spent the entire morning mowing, rolling, and lining the court getting it ready for us to play. But he did it well. Grass courts take a lot of maintenance, which is why they so rare these days. Again, grass court tennis on a well prepared court is really fun and a good test of your racquet skills. I've had some of my best, and worst, experiences on the various grass courts I've played on--but more good than bad by far. I would tell anyone to never pass up the chance to play on grass, for no other reason than to get you out of your comfort zone--but you never know how long they'll be around. And BTW, you can bounce the ball on a well prepared grass court.
Good observations! Looks like the grass was too thick on the courts I played in palm springs. Wish it was maintained as per tournament standards. Even then I enjoyed playing on it. Like others mentioned, it suits your game if you can play flat strokes, can play/slice with a continental backhand and make decent volleys. All these things are so much easier if you can play with a prostaff 85 or similar racquet. No wonder Pete Sampras won so many wimbledon titles.
prostaff_fan is offline   Reply With Quote