View Single Post
Old 12-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #71
atatu
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkC View Post
I have seen top 10, even top 5 ATP players get tired because of their tournament schedule and look disinterested, lose a match, and they look like they are glad to have the rest of the week off. The announcers just comment that the upcoming grand slam event is more important. It does not seem to knock them out of the top 10. It is a tiring sport. If you think every top pro gives 100% in every match, including every event that they consider a warm-up event for a bigger event, then you have not paid close attention to tennis for the last few decades, as many of us have.

In this case, Jenkins won the match regardless of fatigue. It was a non-rated men's open. The only question is whether a player wants another round's worth of prize money in an event like this. I guess he wanted it just barely enough to win it, but a men's open means nothing to his ATP career in the long run. If you seen him not trying hard when valuable ATP points are on the line, please tell us about it.
I guess I see this as something different than playing around and not trying, which is what was suggested. Obviously every pro gets tired and loses to opponents he shouldn't lose to or they almost lose to someone who they shouldn't lose to. I read the post in question to suggest that JJ was just fooling around and not really trying, knowing he could win in the end. I have no idea if that is true or not, but if it's true I don't think that's very professional. That's just my opinion, and you can disagree without attacking me as being "stupid."
atatu is offline   Reply With Quote