View Single Post
Old 12-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #43
Fintft
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly View Post
I can relate. Teaching tennis has undermined my own "Quiet Eye" habit. I have to continually reinforce the habit of keeping the head still, eyes on the contact point during my forward swing. I'll usually make a point of practicing it during mini-tennis or warmup.

I will continue to do more reinforcement with some shadow swings while waiting for the next point to start. I'm usually good for most of 2 sets. Usually toward the end of the 2nd set or the beginning of the 3rd, as I start to fatigue mentally, the old teaching habit creeps into play and I am looking up too early again. It takes me a while to realize what is happening -- but I get the ship to right itself within the next half set.
Good tip about the shadow swings, thanks! For myself I've realized I'm not keeping the head still, eyes on the contact point during my forward swing, especially during matches (basically when I get tense/nervous). Not in each match, but in enough of them, last one against a pusher. It wasn't frustrated to miss, but to see ball after ball hitting the net(and me not doing the things it was supposed to help me get into the "zone"- keeping the head still, eyes on the contact point during my forward swing)....Trying to relax overall is the general rule.