View Single Post
Old 08-18-2004, 11:11 AM   #13
Bungalo Bill
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin
One thing that I am realizing is that too much activity in the lower body area can ruin the motion of the upper body, which as you guys agree, is the major contributor.

I am finding that a huge leg bend, or a huge hip stretch is not that important, and can easily disrupt balance leading to poor results.

Bill, your advice to not over analyze helped me. While practicing my serve yesterday, I mostly focused on leaving my shoulders open for longer so my that they would have the chance to transfer their momentum to my arm. I was able to do this by slowing down the motion to insure smoothnes, and when I did it, everything felt right and I hit some impressive serves. All your recent talk of open shoulders has made realize that I was incorporating my arm into the swing too early. I bet that's a classic symptom of worrying too much about hitting hard.

One more question I have is about the non dominant arm. I'll make a separate post for it.
Good! When you worry the muscles tighten. When your thinking about something, the other thing feels awkward. The serve motion is the opposite of what you learn in sports. Relax and fire.