View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #24
WildVolley
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian View Post
The up part of the forward swing for A DOUBLE HANDED BACKHAND can be constrained by two factors:

1.capability to obtain two SSC's:
one at a lowest point,the second at a contact
I understand that it looks like there is a loading phase occurring at the lowest point as the racket dips down and lags, but I don't see a SSC at contact. Could you explain what you mean by that.

Quote:
2.capability to achieve a PRESCRIBED lowest point plus a required slope

Please see AGAIN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPBM-hE1Dhw
The LOWEST POINT was SOMEWHERE above the level of knees.
The angle of the slope looks like around 45 degrees.

Now we have multiple questions of a day:
how do we produce a motion of an arm to achieve #1 and/or #2 above ?

Are we constrained by enviroroment/bounce/etc?

What are OBSERVABLE to see whether SSC was achieved?

How #2 influences # of shanks?

Julian W.Mielniczuk
USPTA
Bedford,MA,US

I understand that the "FLIP" in THIS THREAD is equivalent of what I call the "UP pART of the forward swing"
I think the downward dipping of the racket head (is this what Macci means by flip?) is muscular because by intuition it appears to be happening too quickly to be simply due to gravity.

I think it is a teachable motion that we should look for in our students, especially if they have a mostly across motion which drives the ball very flat (more like an old-school Connor's 2hbh). I haven't developed any drills, but if it is a muscular motion we should develop step-by-step drills to make the students feel the dip.

I don't know enough which muscles are being loaded by the dipping motion, but it definitely creates a need to raise the head at contact which provides heavier topspin.
WildVolley is offline   Reply With Quote