View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 10:38 AM   #14
Topspin Shot
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
I agree with the timing of the split. I don't like to focus too much on the opponent, so I developed a footwork pattern that works for me (serve, two steps, and hop). This is just a general habit, and I may vary it according to the serve/opponent. With a slow kick serve, I may be a little too early after two steps (serve still moving toward opponent) and take another step before the spilt, and with a flat serve, the return may be at my feet before I jump, so I may need to split right from the serve in no-man's land.

With a little practice, you can significant accelerate your motion out of the serve (try practicing exploding out of the serve and forward a couple of steps a couple of time when you are practicing your serve).

Regarding the footwork of the volley, I think a better mental reminder is to think about moving forward slightly during the volley because the specific footwork may vary according to the height/depth/angle of the return.
Actually, in regards to the contact zone footwork, Ash is correct. I neglected to mention that the higher the volley, the more apt you should be to have the front foot come down at or even just before contact.
Topspin Shot is offline   Reply With Quote