View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 02:14 PM   #34
TCF
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Jr View Post
...and some who know no better will constantly refer to wiki-type or modernistic sources which are by no means the definitive ruling body on correctness.

As I said and will say again, some things become what they are through common miss-use. It doesn't mean they are necessarily interchangeable or can be argued as being equivalent to the original word's meaning. My example of a classic American basta.rd.isation, "I could care less", is a perfect example. It makes little sense if you dissect it and compare it to the original version - yet it remains a common saying.

Even if you stretch the term biweekly to include both meanings the way it was used in this thread was ambiguous so therefore fails the first test of practical use of any term (unless done deliberately to be ambiguous).
Ha, after the years following this forum I have learned my lesson well....when one of the resident experts is 'right' about something, even a Webster's dictionary definition or the sworn testimony of a bus full of nuns will not sway them.

Its all good though, whatever....
TCF is offline   Reply With Quote