View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #37
corbind
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz nation View Post
I'd have a conversation with that coach before "setting up shop" at the same time on the same courts. When I certified with the USPTA, one serious issue that we covered was about being careful to not poach on the business of other teachers, at least ones who are certified and running more formal lessons.

I absolutely appreciate where you're coming from, but I think you'd be smart to explain your situation to this teacher in the same way you've explained it to us. Much better chance of being on the same page and having a harmonious coexistence out there. If I was running a small program and a parent withdrew their kid from my group, started another one at the same time on an adjacent court, and expected everything to be cool without saying a word to me... whoa Nellie!!! I'm a very easy going human, but this would be a SERIOUS problem if it happened to me.

Have the conversation. You may actually be able to help each other out and make an even better go of it once you've cleared the air. Just making the inquiry his way could be enough of a show of respect to make everything fine.
I agree with this smart man 100%. You must talk to your son's former coach before anything. That's simple etiquette. Also, since your goal is to help the kids without profit, put the money in a separate checking account. Keep track of expenses/income and share it with the parents.