View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014, 05:32 AM   #390
sam_p
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocker View Post
Oh please, the only one butthurt here is you. I will reiterate, I am not arguing who the GOAT is because IMO you cannot declare one man the GOAT. Let's face it, current opinion is biased towards current generations. Alot of people who saw Laver at his peak have either passed away and thus are not around to push Laver's barrow or are too old to even figure out how to use a computer let alone log onto to here to argue the point. Plus, there is alot less footage of Laver than there is of Federer, again, biased towards the current generation. You are shallow man, you have a shallow view of tennis without any regard for the past. You simply see 17 and what Federer was able to do to lesser players than him and bang, you think Federer is the GOAT. I'm telling you, it runs much deeper than that, it's not that simple and I'm not going to get into it because it's been done to death on here. Even if Nadal does get to 18, I will still not argue who the GOAT is, for reasons I've already stated...again, it's not that simple.

And just for the record, Nadal has pretty much beaten Federer throughout each stage of Federer's career and pretty much on every surface.
And please spare me about Sampras fans. If Sampras' career was aligned with Federer's, he would have given as good as he got. The past 6 years have proven that Federer is human afterall...you don't think a peak Sampras would have got in on the action even against a peak Federer? He won 14 slams and finished 6 times World Champion (no. 1) in an era of polarised conditions. Let me tell you, he's no mug. Sheesh, he didn't fear anyone and he is probably the most aggressive player tennis has ever seen. All Sampras would need to do is get under Federer's skin and in his head with a couple of wins and wholla, I suspect it would be the whole Nadal ordeal for Federer all over again. What, you think Federer is superman without any weaknesses?

Which leads me to the main reason I'm replying to your rubbish...to reiterate the main point of my post that you quoted...there is more to determining a truly great player than just tennis strokes...it is a whole myriad of things, and that includes strengths and weaknesses. If you can't see that then you're a dill.
This is prime stuff. Agree with every word.
sam_p is offline   Reply With Quote