View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 08:03 PM   #78
martini1
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Ace View Post
I can't help but jump into the HK debate. On the majority side. I have to wonder if he's buying 2nds/knockoffs - or has a Nike connection. There's no reason there would be deals in HK: a) tons of rich people; b) (unfortunately) not many tennis fans - too many clowns with Man U scarves around their necks in hot weather.

I do occasionally find good deals at GigaSports and Royal Sporting House (back when they carried tennis stuff) - but most things are higher than US list prices. And some RF stuff doesn't make it there - or they just one of every size. And as @syke points out, you have to be careful - try everything on - sizes are often different.

Spotted a shop in Tin Hau last trip but didn't have time to go in.

@syke: yes, courts (and pros to hit with) aren't cheap - land is scarce.
In general the shoe prices are a little lower than TW. Partly because there is no 6 mo replacement on any of the shoes. That works out great to me since I never wear out a pair of shoes in 6 months. Same thing for Nike/Adidas tennis clothing, they are lower than the TW prices and no taxes on everything. The lower end stuff may be closer in prices but I have not really look into them closely.
The problem is less stores are carrying tennis gear in the past 2 yrs. You will need to visit bigger stores in certain locations for that.
Selection is also a problem. There are less colors to choose from unless it is a very popular model. I don't really blame them because some tennis shoes are just too stiff to be a everyday causal / fashion shoe. And they need the extra rack space to put more basketball shoes. The new Lebran shoes are like over $200, no discounts, and still sell pretty well from what I've heard.
martini1 is offline   Reply With Quote