View Single Post
Old 02-17-2014, 05:42 PM   #14
TennisCJC
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpantennis View Post
Strange enough, I felt the same just 1 month ago. I have a long history of modding my racquets with lead tape. I felt a heavy spec of 360g/360SW was EASIEST to play with. Going lighter felt like too whippy, less control, and sweet spot felt so small. I loved the control and easy power that the heavy racquet provided.

Then I got a great new coach, who highlighted some of my technical flaws better than any other coach before. It felt difficult to make the changes with a heavy racquet, as it kinda swings on its own mass, so I decided to try my first racquet. Immediately, I could make the changes, and now I'm on a fast learning curve. I've never played as consistent as now with the improved technique. Game almost feels trivial compared to earlier, as my new coach is so good in focusing my thoughts on key factors where I have the most work to improve.

Last weekend, I played one of my best defensive play in any match. And this was with a 315g/310SW racquet. I was in a defensive slice god mode, and lobbed better than ever. The light racquet makes basic rally strokes so easy, I can concentrate on early preparation, good unit turn, and correct swing path. And most importantly, I can swing faster, which improves control due to added topspin. The open 16x19 pattern on a 102sq.in. head further improves spin. Now I don't need the heavy racquet to control the stroke, rather I can control the ball with my technique.

After a lot of practices with the improved technique, I now feel like the heavy racquet was cheating. It provided the control due to added mass, and enabled me to use bad technique, as even mishits stayed in. At least for me, that road was a dead end.
Since I have paid attention to specs for say the last 10 years, I have never gone above approximately 338-340 SW. That is about my high end to handle. last 2.5 years, around approximately 332-335. I have tried going down below 330 but just don't like the feel any lower as I feel like I have to work harder to gen pace and also feel some instability when returning a good shot by my opponent. for me, it is a noticeable difference and I don't like the feel below 330SW. I also play lots of doubles and this SW seems to work well on volleys - low enough I can move it and high enough that good contact results in a crisp shot.
TennisCJC is offline   Reply With Quote